Using Canvas as a Faculty Member
Canvas is now the single supported online space for all UM-Dearborn courses. In Canvas, you may make a syllabus available to students, create assignments with online submission, grade online assignments, facilitate online discussions and chats, make files available to students, and more!.
Please inform students that web browser on a desktop or laptop computer (not a tablet or mobile device) is highly recommended for taking quizzes or submitting assignments in Canvas to avoid errors.
Helpful Information for Faculty
UM-Dearborn faculty/lecturer information:
- Expectations for Canvas Use
- Faculty handbook
- University polices
- Syllabus template (required for all courses, including online)
Teaching students with disabilities:
Quick Help for Faculty
- Can't see a course or courses: Banner sends up-to-date information to Canvas twice per day, starting 8 weeks before the first day of the semester. Once you are assigned as an instructor of record in Banner, you should see the course appear in Canvas within 24 hours.
- Receiving a "no account found" error: This error is generally received by new faculty who have not been assigned as an instructor of record for any course yet. If you are a new faculty with courses assigned in banner and still receive this error, please have your department admin contact the registrar's office to make sure your email address is attached to your banner profile.
- Password Problems: If you are having username/password issues logging in to Canvas, please contact the ITS service desk.
Winter 2021 Important Dates for faculty
November 18 2020 - Courses available to faculty (if in Banner as instructor of record). Notifications for announcements, changes to course content, etc. will not be sent to students.
January 6 2021 - Manually published courses become available to registered students. Notifications for new announcements, changes to course content, etc after a course is published will now be sent.
January 13 2021 - All courses are automatically published and become available to students by the end of the day. Students on a waitlist will be able to view most course content, but will not be able to submit assignments or participate in discussions (in addition to some other features) until they become fully registered.
January 27 2021 - Students formerly on a waitlist will no longer have access to the course in Canvas.
April 30 2021 - All assignments/work that students are doing in Canvas must be submitted by 11:59pm. After that point, courses will become read-only and moved to the "past courses" area (they can still be accessed by clicking the "view all courses" link in the Canvas courses menu). Faculty members still have full access to the course for final grading and other tasks. Notifications to students also end at 11:59pm. If any submission comments or grading are done after that point, faculty members should email students to let them know new information is available in Canvas..
May 72020 - Any changes to Canvas courses (removal of copyright content, removal of answer keys, grade editing, etc) must be done by 11:59pm. Courses will become read-only for faculty after that point.