Using Canvas as a Faculty Member
Canvas is now the single supported online space for all UM-Dearborn courses. In Canvas, you may make a syllabus available to students, create assignments with online submission, grade online assignments, facilitate online discussions and chats, make files available to students, and more!.
Helpful Information for Faculty
UM-Dearborn faculty/lecturer information:
Teaching students with disabilities:
- Who is responsible for accessibility of digital courses?
- Faculty guide for teaching students with disabilities
Quick Help for Faculty
- Can't see a course or courses: Banner sends up-to-date information to Canvas twice per day, starting 8 weeks before the first day of the semester. Once you are assigned as an instructor of record in Banner, you should see the course appear in Canvas within 24 hours.
- Receiving a "no account found" error: This error is generally received by new faculty who have not been assigned as an instructor of record for any course yet. If you are a new faculty with courses assigned in banner and still receive this error, please have your department admin contact the registrar's office to make sure your email address is attached to your banner profile.
- Password Problems: If you are having username/password issues logging in to Canvas, please contact the ITS service desk.
Fall 2019 Important Dates for Faculty
July 10 2019 - Courses available to faculty (if in Banner as instructor of record)
August 28 2019 - Manually published courses become available to registered students.
September 4 2019 - All courses are automatically published and become available to students by the end of the day. Students on a waitlist will be able to view most course content, but will not be able to submit assignments or participate in discussions (in addition to some other features) until they become fully registered.
September 18 2019 - Students formerly on a waitlist will no longer have access to the course in Canvas.
December 18 2019 - All assignments/work that students are doing in Canvas must be done by 11:59pm. After that point, courses will become read-only and moved to the "past courses" area for students. Faculty members still have full access to the course for final grading and other tasks
December 20 2019 - Courses will be moved to the "past courses" area for faculty at 11:59pm tonight (they can still be accessed by clicking the "view all courses" link in the Canvas courses menu).
December 27 2019 - Any changes to Canvas courses (removal of copyright content, removal of answer keys, grade editing, etc) must be done by 11:59pm. Courses will become read-only for faculty after that point.