At the College of Arts, Sciences, and Letters and at the University of Michigan-Dearborn, our students are recognized for their achievements both inside and outside the classroom.
A student qualifies for the full-time Dean’s List or a part-time Dean's List if he or she meets certain conditions.
Dean's List Information
A student qualifies for the full-time Dean’s List if he or she meets two conditions:
- has completed during the term at least 12 credit hours of graded (A-E) coursework toward degree.
- has achieved a 3.50 or better term GPA
CASL also generates a "part-time" Dean’s List for Fall and Winter semesters combined. To qualify for this list a student must:
- attend both Fall and Winter semesters of a given academic year.
- complete a minimum of 12 credit hours of graded (A-E) coursework in Fall and Winter combined.
- officially registered for fewer than 12 credit hours of graded (A-E) coursework in Fall, and fewer than 12 in Winter.
- achieve minimum term GPAs of 3.50 in both Fall and Winter.
Note: Students who have I, X, or Y notations or academic sanctions are not eligible to be included in the Dean’s List. The lists prepared each semester (Fall,Winter,Summer) are displayed in a glass case on the first floor of the CASL Building.
Honors Convocation - Honor Scholars
Students who have achieved superior academic performance are invited to, and individually recognized, at the Honors Convocation, held each year in late March.
Honors Scholar Information
Students who have achieved superior academic performance are invited to, and individually recognized, at the Honors Convocation, held each year in late March. Students honored include those receiving Undergraduate and Graduate Excellence Awards, as well as Honor Scholars in undergraduate and graduate degree programs who are recipients of discipline awards. A student with academic sanctions is not eligible for the award. For further information, contact the Office of the Provost, 1080 AB, 313-593-5030.
2018 CASL Honor Scholars
CASL Honor Scholars
Heather M. Murphy
Zachary R. Smith
Con A. Lustig
Behavioral and Biological Sciences
Chelsea M. Burke
Muhammad A. Osto
Kelly L. Parker
Stephanie R. Barna
Chemistry (ACS Certified)
Criminology and Criminal Justice
Madou A. Bazzi
Brock A. Rowberry
Samira A. Nahshal
Brian J. Giroux
Laura M. Walker
Hannah R. Ryniak
Madeleine G. Burkhart
Journalism and Screen Studies
Con A. Lustig
Gabriella M. Oudsema
Monica M. De Roche
Madison M. Kuzma
Urban and Regional Studies
Teiana L. McGahey
Women’s and Gender Studies
Graduate Program in Applied and Computational Mathematics
Lourdes (Gizelle) Guerra
Graduate Program in Environmental Science
Graduate Program in Psychology
Graduate Program in Public Administration
Jeffrey D. Watkins
The Chancellor’s Medallion is awarded at each commencement exercise to UM-Dearborn graduates including two CASL students who represent the "Best In Class."
Chancellor's Medallion Information
The Chancellor’s Medallion is awarded at each commencement exercise to UM-Dearborn graduates including two CASL students who represent the "Best In Class." The two students are selected by the CASL Academic Standards Committee based on their academic records. The December awardees are selected from students who were graduated in August and those who are to be graduated in December. The April/May awardees are selected from students who are to be graduated in April/May. A student with academic sanctions is not eligible for the award.
Past CASL Chancellor Medallion Recipients
- 2018 Fall Commencement: Con Lustig and Majd Faraj
- 2018 Winter Commencement: Monica De Roche and Brock Rowberry
- 2017 Fall Commencement: Sumer Ghazala and Bryce Michelle Weick
- 2017 Winter Commencement: Jamie Jeffries and Nic Jones
- 2016 Fall Commencement: Angelina Camilleri and Joshua Postel
- 2016 Winter Commencement: Hina Haider and Jessica Snow
- 2015 Fall Commencement: Thomaz Carvalhaes and Joseph Gaber
- 2015 Winter Commencement: Katherine Pfannes and David Renard
- 2014 Fall Commencement: Larry Lenha and Joseph Maurer
- 2014 Winter Commencement: Miriam Bukhsh and Walaa Tout
- 2013 Fall Commencement: Elizabeth Bastian and Joseph Miszcak
Nominated by faculty, staff and peers, UM-Dearborn Difference Makers are outstanding students and alumni.
Difference Makers Information
Nominated by faculty, staff and peers, UM-Dearborn Difference Makers are outstanding students and alumni. They are at the forefront of their fields, embodying academic and professional achievement, integrity, leadership and creative contribution to improve the lives of others in southeast Michigan communities. For more information, please see the Michigan Difference Makers website.
Additional Academic Awards
James B. Angell Scholar
Students who earn straight A's (A+,A,A-) for two or more consecutive terms with a minimum of 14 credit hours toward degree, of which at least 12 must be graded A-E, are named James B. Angell scholars. This distinction is noted on the student's transcript.
William J. Branstrom Prize
First-term freshmen who rank in the upper five percent of their class and earn 14 credit hours toward degree and at least a 3.50 GPA on any campus and in any unit of the University of Michigan are named recipients of the William J. Branstrom Prize. This distinction is noted on the student’s transcript.
Awarded to students who have achieved a 3.50 GPA and earn 14 credit hours toward degree (of which at least 12 credit hours are graded A-E). This distinction is noted on the student’s transcript after fall and winter terms only.