COVID-19 Health & Safety Measures
We are following the health and safety guidelines developed by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs (LARA) and the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services (MDHHS), Wayne County Health Department, our University of Michigan colleagues and our own experts to ensure a safe environment for our students and staff.
Policies & Procedures
The ECEC has developed health and safety related policies and procedures that will guide the fall semester. Highlights are below, view all of the details on this website. Health & Safety procedures on these pages supersedes information in the ECEC Parent Handbook.
Changes to Physical Spaces
Throughout the ECEC the space has been modified to minimize the spread of illness. Modifications include:
- Ensuring ventilation systems operate properly and increasing circulation of outdoor air.
Availability of Toys and Classroom Materials
Toys and classroom objects will continue to be available in the classroom and will be sanitized at the end of the school day and as needed throughout the course of the school day.
Mealtime and Naptime procedures
- All food will be brought from home each day (lunch, AM snack, PM snack). Birthday and holiday food snacks/treats are not permitted. Children will continue to wash hands immediately before and after eating.
- Children’s bedding from home will be stored in their cubby or bag throughout the week and sent home at the end of the week for sanitization.
Drop Off and Pick Up
- Before coming to the ECEC each morning, families should monitor their child’s health and watch for any symptoms of COVID-19 or other illnesses.
- Drop Off times are restricted to 8:00-9:30 a.m. The gate will lock at 9:30 a.m. to minimize classroom disruption.
- Parents should take their child to their classroom through the playground. Doors are labeled with room numbers. Please knock on the outside classroom door and a teacher will greet you.
- Pick-up times are restricted to 3:30-4p.m. After 4 p.m. children will go to Late Stay.
- At pick up time, please enter through the playground gate and go directly to the classroom door. Please knock on the door and a teacher will assist you.
- At this time the procedures for Drop Off and Pick Up will remain the same regardless of the weather.
Symptom Tracking & Safety Measures
- Before coming to the ECEC parents should monitor their children for any symptoms of illness.
- Families should refer to the ECEC Child Illness Chart with questions regarding whether or not a child should be attending school.
- Thermometers are available in each classroom for temperature checking as a whole class or on suspicion that a child is feeling unwell.
- If a child tests positive for COVID-19, the family should notify the child’s classroom teacher and front desk immediately 313-593-5424
- Confirmed positive case information will be communicated to those directly impacted, this communication will include exposure date and if the individual was symptomatic at the time