The following are answers to the most commonly asked questions about the Degree Works Audit system. 

Direct link to Degree Works

What is a Degree Works Audit?

A Degree Works Audit is a display of past and current coursework that provides information on completed and outstanding requirements necessary to complete a degree in a given major. The audit is divided into blocks for each type of requirement. Each block consist of a checklist with boxes that are automatically checked when a requirement is met.

How current will my information be in Degree Works?

The information in Degree Works is refreshed each night. Any changes made today (e.g., grade changes or classes added/dropped) will be seen in Degree Works tomorrow. If you are working with an advisor, the advisor can refresh your information so that it is current.

How do I know if a course has a prerequisite?

If a course has a prerequisite you will see a blue clipboard with a checkmark next to the course number. To see what the prerequisite is for the course, click on it and a course description including the prerequisite will appear in a pop up box.

How is my Degree Works Audit different from my transcript?

Your Audit is a tool to provide you with academic information related to your degree progress. It displays courses required and completed in your degree program. Your transcript is your official University record and provides a chronological list of courses you completed in semester order and other academic information. Your official transcript must be requested from the Office of the Registrar.

I’ve seen the @ symbol in several places on my worksheet. What does this mean?

This is a wild card in Degree Works. It allows you many choices in a given subject area. For example, if the @ sign appears after a subject i.e., HUM @, it means that you can take any Humanities course.

When should I look at my Degree Works Audit?

Several times a semester. You should always review your Audit:

  • Before you meet with your academic advisor to discuss registration for an upcoming semester.
  • After you register--to ensure that the courses you selected applied to your requirements like you thought they would, and that all of your scheduled courses apply to your major.
  • After your grades for each semester are posted.
  • Any time you make a change to your schedule, or have questions about what you need to complete your degree, and
  • Whenever you are considering changing your major. You will want to check your current Audit to see where you stand, and then use the “What if?” tool to check out other majors. 
If all of the boxes are checked, does that mean I’m graduating?

The audit is intended as a guide. It is important that the student work with an academic advisor on a regular basis to make certain all information is up to date. Students  must apply for graduation.  It is strongly advised that students apply at the time they register for their last semester. An official graduation audit will then be completed and any missing requirements will be communicated by their academic unit to the student.

Why do my total credits on my “Academic Transcript” in the Student Information System differ from my total credits completed in Degree Works?

This often occurs with students who have transferred to UM-Dearborn. The “Academic Transcript” in the Student Information System reflects only the overall hours potentially transferrable to UM-Dearborn. The Degree Works Audit reflects the hours that will be used toward a degree program and caps the allowable transfer credits that can be used toward a degree. Please see the Undergraduate Catalog for information regarding maximum transferable credits.

Why does the audit say that I need a minimum total number of credits to graduate but I actually need more than that?

This often will be the case if you have changed your major or you have transferred in courses that do not meet any degree requirements here at UM-Dearborn. You will still need to meet all the course requirements and are degree criteria as indicated on your audit. If you have any questions you should see your academic advisor.

How does Degree Works decide where to place courses I have completed?

Degree Works looks at your program holistically, and places each course using a “best fit” scenario. The “best fit” process will not always be perfect, particularly when multiple possibilities exist. Classes may apply to different areas as you take more courses. If you have a course that does not appear in the area in which you expected, please contact your advisor for assistance.

Degree Works placed one of my courses in two different places. Is that okay?

In most cases, yes. Degree Works is programmed to recognize that some courses can fulfill more than one requirement. If you have any questions, contact your advisor.

I have declared two degrees (a BBA and a BA, a BA and BS, etc.) Only one appears on the audit. How can I check the requirements for my other degree?

Look at the degree information next to your name at the top of the screen. You will notice that the degree box has a drop down arrow. Use this to select your second degree. Once you select on this, an audit with the additional major will display.  Dual degree students must complete a minimum of 150 credits in addition to fulfilling all requirements for both degrees.

I repeated a course and I don’t understand how it appears on the degree audit. Can you explain?

You are allowed a total of three attempts for a course. If you successfully repeat a course, only the last attempt counts toward degree requirements. The earlier attempt(s) will be placed in the “Insufficient” block at the bottom of the audit. The courses in this area do not count toward your total hours and cannot be used to fulfill requirements.  If you are repeating a course for which you previously received a passing grade, the audit may reflect both the in-progress repeat course and the completed course on the worksheet.  Once a grade has been submitted, the worksheet will reflect the last attempt in the audit and the former attempt(s) in the “Insufficient” block.

Can I save or print my audit?

Yes. Select the print icon near the top right corner of the worksheet to print and/or save a PDF version of the audit.

Can I see a list of all the classes I have taken?

Yes. Next to the ‘Save as PDF’ button, click on the Class History link for a list of courses taken at UM-Dearborn as well as transfer courses.

What is the “What If” feature?

The “What If” function allows you to hypothetically change your major, minor, or concentration. The What If audit will show you what coursework is required for the new major, minor or concentration; what courses you have taken that satisfy requirements, and what courses are still left for you to take. What If audits do not guarantee that you will be able to major in the area you select. See your academic advisor for information.

How to use “What If” Planning
  • Click on the “What If” button.
  • Select the degree you are considering (required field)
  • Select the catalog year that matches the year you will select that major.
  • Select the college of the major you are selecting (required field).
  • Select additional or new majors, minors and/or concentrations (at least the major field is required).
  • Click ‘Process What If Audit’.
  • Review how your courses would count in the major.
  • Discuss the new major with your advisor.
  • Decide if you want to change or add majors or minors
  • Follow the procedure to change your major or declare a minor.
Who should I contact if I still have questions?

Your first point of contact should be your academic advisor.

Office of the Registrar

1169 -
University Center (UC)


Back to top of page