4+1 Bioengineering Program
The accelerated undergraduate/master’s studies option in bioengineering (4+1 option) allows the most qualified UM-Dearborn undergraduate bioengineering students to pursue a program of study in which BSE and MSE degrees are earned in a five-year accelerated format. This is achieved via combining a portion of undergraduate and graduate coursework as described below.
To be eligible for the option, a student must:
- Be enrolled in the undergraduate BENG program at the University of Michigan-Dearborn.
- Have a 3.4 cumulative GPA or better.
- Not be enrolled in two undergraduate programs or in a dual-degree program in either their undergraduate or graduate program.
Double Counting and Transfer Credits
- The 4+1 option allows current UM-Dearborn undergraduate bioengineering majors to complete both the BSE and MSE bioengineering degrees in an accelerated format. Admitted 4+1 students can double-count up to 9 credits of 500-level or above bioengineering elective, core, or cognate courses taken during their junior or senior years. Of these, only one cognate course is allowed.
- In practice with the usual graduate student program rules, 4+1 students may also transfer a maximum of 6 additional 500 level credits toward the 30-credit master's degree. These additional transfer credits can be taken during the junior and senior years and cannot be used for any portion of the undergraduate degree.
- Depending on the number of double-counted and transfer credits, 15-21 credits of graduate coursework would be needed to complete the master's program after completion of the undergraduate degree.
Admission to the Option
1. Participation in the 4+1 option is limited to students who have completed at least 60 undergraduate credit hours, have attained junior standing, have a cumulative GPA of at least 3.4, and have completed the following courses with grades of B+ or better:
- ME 265 and ME 230
- At least two of the following: BENG 325, 351, 370, 375, 381
2. Admission to the 4+1 option is at the discretion of the bioengineering graduate committee and requires a pre-admission interview.
3. The online graduate application should be completed with a "Yes" response to the 4+1 accelerated option question. In addition to submitting required application materials, 4+1 applicants will complete an interview with the BENG graduate committee.
4. Students must attain a grade of B or better in each 500-level class taken as an undergraduate student and used for graduate credit in the 4+1 option. Failure to do so may result in removal from the 4+1 option.
- Deferred enrollment by 4+1 students into the master’s program is not permitted. In cases of medical or personal matters, a special request for deferment can be made by petition to the BENG graduate committee.
To complete the 4+1 option in five years, students will have to complete 2 core courses, 2 cognates, and 6 electives, which may include up to 6 credits of thesis. A student who does not utilize the 3 transfer credit option will be required to take 4 graduate courses during one term of the final year of study, which is burdensome. In this case, students should plan on completing the master’s degree in three terms after the BSE degree is completed.
4901 Evergreen Road
Dearborn, MI 48128
View on Map