Advising and Registration
Academic advisors are available to provide information about program requirements, University policies and procedures, and campus resources.
At this time, all University related student services are being delivered in remote formats. Please click on the blue button below for further information.
Advising appointments can be made Monday - Friday between 9:00 and 4:30. Students needing 5:00 or 5:30, can schedule a meeting on Thursdays. Appointments are scheduled for 30 minutes and must be rescheduled if arrival time is 15 minutes beyond the scheduled start time.
Reasons to schedule an appointment are:
- Required advising
- BBA audit
- Academic probation
- Extension forms for international students
- Long term course planning
- College of Business orientations
During walk-in advising, students are able to meet with an advisor on a first come, first serve basis.
Current Walk-in Schedule: Wednesdays, 9:00 - 4:45
Appointments are limited to 15 minutes and are intended for quick questions. Reasons to come to walk-in advising are:
- Registration questions
- Referral to campus resources
- Clarification of policy, procedure or deadline
- Financial Aid Appeal Form (SAP)
What: Registration for business courses before regular University registration opens.
Who: College of Business students who do not have a registration hold.
Where: Online through My UM-Dearborn self-service portal
When: 8:00 am - 11:45 pm each day.
Why: It provides COB students first access to their business courses. Students who take advantage of priority registration are better able to progress through their program and graduate as planned.
Priority Registration Timetable for Fall 2022
Monday, March 28 BBA Seniors with 85+ completed credits
Tuesday, March 29 Remaining BBA Students .
Wednesday, March 30 Prebusiness Students .
- Identify your first day of eligibility.
- Register on-line through the self-service portal
- You may change your schedule as many times as you wish during the priority registration time frame.
- Once the priority registration period is over, you may adjust your business courses and register for non-business courses during the campus-wide registration period. You can find your first day of eligibility on the registration timetable.
- If a course is full, you are advised to place yourself on the waitlist so that we are able to track students’ needs.
- If space becomes available and the COB registers you for the class, you will be contacted via your UM-Dearborn email.
There are instances when students have a hold on their registration. Any student who has a registration hold must speak with an advisor to have a hold removed prior to registering for an upcoming semester. Students having holds are notified of this by email from the Student Services Office.
Most prebusiness students are required to meet with an academic advisor twice a year in order to review their progression toward BBA admission.
- August 1 begins the advising period for winter registration.
- January 1 begins the advising period for summer and fall registration.
BBA students who are approaching senior standing are required to complete a Graduation Plan. This is a term-by-term course plan which identifies the program requirements still needed for completion of the BBA and the best course of action to complete them.
Students whose cumulative, COB, or concentration GPA has dropped below 2.0 are placed on probation. These students are required to speak with an advisor concerning probationary status and sign a probation contract.
Academic Planning Tools
Prebusiness Advising Videos
All e-mail communication is done through your umich.edu email account. Students are responsible for the information sent to their umich.edu address, so it is essential to check that account regularly.
E-mails should be composed in a professional manner. When contacting an advisor, faculty, or any University employee, make sure to include your name and student ID number. Utilize correct form, punctuation, grammar, and spelling.
If you are contacting more than one advisor about the same situation, use the copy (cc) function in the address bar. Do not send the same message to multiple people individually.
If you have taken courses at another school and are utilizing an electronic transcript service to have them delivered to this office, order them to be sent to email@example.com.