Advance your career with a Michigan degree.

Whether you are a full-time professional, fresh out of undergrad, or an international student, we have flexible program options available for you. Many of our graduate courses are available in the evening or online.

If you are a current student looking for assistance, please visit our current students page.

Transfer Policies

To recognize graduate credits earned in other accredited institutions of higher education, and in other schools and colleges of the University of Michigan (including the Flint and Ann Arbor campuses), the Rackham Graduate School has formulated a policy that provides for the transfer of graduate credit to its Master's and professional degree programs. All requests for transfer of credit are reviewed and must be approved by the department's program committee.

    • Be enrolled in good standing in a Master's or professional degree program in the Rackham Graduate School at the University of Michigan, and
    • Have completed 8 or more credit hours of graduate-level, letter-graded (A-E) courses in residence in the Rack-ham Graduate School and earned a cumulative grade point average of "B" (3.0) or better, and
    • Have submitted to the department office an official transcript that posts your undergraduate degree, if your admission to the Graduate School was contingent upon doing so.
    • Non-U-M graduate credits. You may transfer a maximum of 6 credit hours to your master's degree program from an-other accredited institution.
    • U-M/non-Rackham graduate credits. You may transfer up to one-half (1/2) the minimum number of credit hours required for your master's degree from U-M/non-Rackham departments and programs (including Flint and Ann Arbor).
    • A combination of non-U-M and U-M/non-Rackham cred-its. You may transfer up to one-half (1/2) the minimum number of credit hours required for your master's or professional degree from a combination of non-U-M and U-M/non-Rackham departments and programs.

    Example: For a 30 credit-hour program, you may transfer a maximum of 15 credit hours from U-M and non-U-M sources. No more than 6 of those credit hours may come from the non-U-M source.

  • The Automotive Systems Engineering and the Information Systems Engineering Ph.D. programs accept up to 9 credit hours of coursework from another university provided they have not been used for another degree program needed for admission and they are approved by the Council. The student may apply for transfer of courses only after successfully completing at least 9 credit hours of courses in the program.

    The Computer & Information Science, Electrical & Computer EngineeringIndustrial & Systems Engineering, and the Mechanical Sciences & Engineering Ph.D. programs do not accept transfer credits.  Students may use up to four credits from a previously completed master’s degree to meet the cognate requirements for the degree.  Students without a master's degree may transfer credits to the master's program only following the conditions and limits for master's programs listed above.

Guest Applicant Information

For those interested in enrolling in a UM-Dearborn graduate courses as a guest (non-degree seeking) student.

Rackham Program Policies

Rackham Graduate School

Many of the master's programs offered at UM-Dearborn are affiliated with the Horace H. Rackham School of Graduate Studies and as such abide by Rackham policies and regulations. Admission and student services for all graduate programs offered at UM-Dearborn are handled on our campus.