Below you will find relevant college and campus policies, as well as common forms used by our office.

If you can't find what you're looking for or having any other questions, do not hesitate to contact the Office of Advising and Academic Success. Our advisors are available to provide information about program requirements, university policies and procedures, and campus resources.

Taking Classes off Campus

  • Transfer Credit
    • New transfer students must have their official transcripts sent to the Office of Admissions.
    • Current CECS students are responsible for requesting official transcripts be sent to the Office of Advising and Academic Success, 2000 HPEC, from their guest institution for official transfer credit evaluation.
    • A minimum ‘C’ grade is required to transfer any coursework.
    • Only the number of credits the course is worth at UM-Dearborn can count toward degree. For example, if a lab science course at a community college is 5 credits, only 4 credits will count toward degree. The extra credit(s) cannot be applied. This includes required elective credits.
    • Students are responsible for understanding the university residency requirements, maximum credit limits for transfer credit, and other transfer policies, as stated on the Registrar’s Office website.  Per the university residency requirement, a maximum of 6 of a student's final 36 credits toward degree can be taken off-campus. 
    • If a student takes a course as a guest student elsewhere, credit is not posted on the student's Degree Works until an official transcript is received directly from the institution where the course was taken. 
    • If the course is a prerequisite or co-requisite for a course at UM-Dearborn, the students will not be permitted to register for the course until the college receives a final grade.

Academic Policies

  • Good Academic Standing

    Students are expected to remain in "good academic standing", that is, maintain both their overall cumulative GPA and their major GPA at 2.0 (a C) or higher.

  • Academic Probation

    A student will be placed on academic probation if the student's overall cumulative GPA , current major cumulative GPA, or both, drops below 2.0.

    Probation policies apply to the semester at the end of which the GPA fell below 2.0. Earning a higher grade in a repeated course does not retroactively change the probation status originally assigned using the earlier grade.  Once grades are reported and GPAs computed, students are notified of their probation status.  Students generally receive their probation letter after the following semester has begun.

    CECS students who have been placed on probation abide by the following rules:

    • Probation students are restricted to enrolling in a maximum of 13 semester credits.
    • Students may not elect courses for which they have not passed the prerequisite course(s).  Math courses require a minimum 'C-' grade to progress to the next course.

    • A 'D-' grade in any course must be repeated, regardless of academic standing.

    • Probation students have, at most, two terms to raise their GPAs to 2.00 and return to good academic standing.
    • Probation students who do not return to good academic standing may be required to withdraw from the College of Engineering and Computer Science.
    • Students who are on academic probation must meet with their Advisor in the CECS Office of Advising and Academic Success to complete an Academic Change Contract, before the end of the add/drop period of their next enrolled term. Call 313-593-5510 to schedule an appointment. Failure to schedule this meeting will result in a hold that prevents registration for future semesters.
  • Required to Withdraw

    CECS students whose grades have been continually below the standard necessary for continued enrollment will be required to withdraw from CECS and not allowed further registration.  The decision to require a student to withdraw is always made after semester grades are reported.  Students required to withdraw are notified as soon as possible and are dis-enrolled from all classes they may have registered for, which are likely to have already begun.  Notification to a student required to withdraw takes place AFTER the following semester has begun.

  • Dean's List, Graduation with Distinction

    Students with a semester GPA of 3.5 or above in at least twelve credits of degree courses are placed on the Dean's List.  Students with a final cumulative GPA between 3.2 and 3.59 graduate with distinction; those with 3.6 or above graduate with high distinction.

  • Knowing your GPA
    • Two different grade point averages (GPA) are computed for CECS students: overall cumulative GPA and major GPA.
    • The overall cumulative GPA counts grades in all courses taken at UM-Dearborn.  The major GPA counts grades in specified major courses only, depending on a student's declared major.
    • Learn to calculate your GPA
  • D- Repeat Policy

    A grade of D- is not considered a passing grade in any CECS course. Furthermore, a course from another academic unit in which a CECS student earns a D- does not count toward the CECS degree and must be repeated. 

Registration and Attendance

  • Registration Deadlines

    Students are responsible for knowing and abiding by all registration deadline dates. Late adds and late drops are rarely permitted for CECS students.

  • Absences from Class

    Students who miss classes should contact their instructors directly.  Students will not be dropped from courses for non-attendance; an “E” grade is assigned if the course is not officially dropped.  Students should confer with their instructor and advisor before dropping a course, but the decision to drop a course is the student’s responsibility.

  • Total Withdrawal

    Students may withdraw from all their courses for a given semester up to the last day of classes (NOT the last day of exams).  CECS students who wish to withdraw from all their classes need the signature of an Academic Advisor (2000 HPEC).

Student Petitions

  • Rules for Submitting a Petition

    A petition is a written request for an exception to a rule or regulation.  Exceptions to policy are not made unless extenuating circumstances are presented.  The Office of Advising and Academic Success handles petitions for CECS students.  

    Rules for submitting a petition: 

    • Reason for petition must be stated clearly.  Incomplete petitions will not be considered.
    • Students must submit additional documentation with their petition.  
    • If petitioning credit for course credit from a previous institution, you must submit the following documentation: the college catalog course description, the course syllabus, the textbook’s table of contents, course notes, exams, quizzes, or programs. 

    Important: Petitions are not approved to take courses without the stated prerequisite or co-requisite.

  • How to Submit a Petition

    Petitions can now be submitted online, using InfoReady. Follow these simple instructions for a paperless, more efficient way to submit your petition.

    1. From the page linked above, click Login (top right) and login using your UM unique name and password.
    2. Click on your name (top right) to update your profile. Enter your name in the spaces provided, and click “Add Primary Organization” to select your academic department.  This step is needed only for your first time logging in.
    3. Find and click on “CECS Petition Form” from the bottom menu.
    4. Click "Apply" (top right of screen).
    5. Provide required Petition Details and attach any necessary documents.
    6. Complete and submit your petition.  You can also save your work to return later before submission.

No-credit Courses

The NO-CREDIT List is not necessarily complete. There may be new courses introduced in other academic units which would be no credit courses for CECS students.  Always check with an advisor in the Office of Advising and Academic Success if you have questions about a specific course.  These and any cross-listed courses are also no credit.

  • BSE Degrees (BENG, CE, EE, ISE, MFGE, ME or RE)

    No Pass/Fail courses count for credit.

    •  All “Statistical” or “Analysis of Data” oriented courses including ECON 305, PSYC 312, SOC 464, STAT 325
    • CIS, MIS, ITM 100 level--except CIS 150
    • BA 100, BA 300, FIN 200
    • Any MATH course lower than MATH 115
    • MATH 363, 386, 387, and courses transferring in @ Lower Distribution
    • CHEM 111, courses transferring in @ Lower Distribution
    • PHYS 360, 401, courses transferring in @ Lower Distribution
    • NSCI 123, 290
    • Credit cannot be earned for both PSYC 171 and PSYC 101

    General or free elective credit only for:

    • MAPP 348 - no other MAPP
    • MTHY 102 - no other MTHY
    • EXPS 102 (only when taken as freshman) or EXPS 420
    • A maximum of 4 Military Science (MILS) credits as general elective credit only.
    • A maximum of 2 Marching Band credits as general elective credit only.

    Credit for one course only from the following (in each line):

    • ECE 375, CIS 310
    • ECE 371, CIS 350, CIS 3501, IMSE 351, IMSE 352
    • ECE 276, CIS 275
    • ECE 3801, ECE 3171, ECE 317
    • ECE 270, CIS 150, IMSE 255
    • ECE 370, CIS 200
    • IMSE 317, MATH 325
    • CIS 381, IMSE 381, ECE 464
  • B.S. Degrees (CIS, DFOR, DS, SWE)

    No Pass/Fail courses count for credit

    • All “Statistical” or “Analysis of Data” oriented courses including ECON 305, PSYC 312, SOC 464, STAT 325
    • CIS 205, 125
    • LIBS 101, 200, 300
    • Any MATH course lower than MATH 115
    • MATH 363, 386, 387, courses transferring in @ Lower Distribution
    • NSCI 100
    • No credit for:  CIS 123, ENGR 100, IMSE 255 if taken after completion of CIS 150
    • EXPS 102 if standing is SO, JR, SR
    • Credit cannot be earned for both PSYC 171 and PSYC 101

    General Elective Area Description (CIS)

    • A maximum of 4 Military Science (MILS) credits as general elective credit only.
    • A maximum of 2 Marching Band credits as general elective credit only.

    Credit for one course only from the following (in each line)

    • ECE 375, CIS 310
    • ECE 371, CIS 350, CIS 3501, IMSE 351, IMSE 352
    • ECE 321, PHYS 403​
    • IMSE 317, MATH 325
    • ECE 276, CIS 275​
    • ECE 3801, ECE 3171, ECE 317
    • ECE 270, CIS 150, IMSE 255​
    • ECE 370, CIS 200
    • CIS 381, ECE 464, IMSE 381

CECS Grievance Policy

Undergraduate and graduate students enrolled in courses offered by CECS are expected to act professionally towards their peers, as well as the faculty and staff members of the College. The students are also expected to uphold the highest level of academic and personal integrity. The students should expect members of the college faculty and staff to act professionally and demonstrate the high integrity that characterizes the professional academic community. In the event a student files a grievance regarding a CECS faculty or staff member, or academic practices and policies, the College is committed to addressing the students concern swiftly in accordance with the procedures outlined in this document.

Reporting an Incident

The University of Michigan-Dearborn is committed to providing a safe, inclusive and welcoming environment for all students, faculty, staff and visitors on campus.

The University of Michigan Compliance Hotline is a tool for U-M employees, students, vendors and others to raise concerns regarding financial, regulatory, NCAA, substance abuse and patient safety issues.

The Campus-Wide Incident Reporting Website is a central area to report incidents of discrimination, harassment, hate, bias, sexual assault and instances of concern, safety and campus community wellbeing. If there is an emergency, immediately call 9-1-1. 

Advising and Academic Success

2000 HPEC
Heinz Prechter Engineering Complex (HPEC)
Back to top of page