EHS is responsible for the collection and proper disposal of chemical waste generated from thousands of laboratories, maintenance areas and construction sites across campus.
State of the art research performed throughout the University presents unique challenges that require advanced waste management strategies.
- Provide guidance and training to generators to ensure the chemical waste is being managed in a manner that is compliant with State and Federal regulations.
- Sample and profile waste streams.
- Oversee lab packing and commingling of waste.
- Oversee the collection and transportation of waste to ensure compliance with Department of Transportation regulations.
- Coordinate bulk waste removals from grease interceptors, oil tanks, etc.
- Arrange for the shipment of all chemical waste generated on campus to a licensed disposal facility.
- Maintain records of all shipments of chemical waste.
- Maintain permits and licenses necessary for chemical waste management and transportation.
- Serve as liaison for regulatory agency staff during compliance inspections.
- Coordinate large scale moves of hazardous materials.
- Provide generators with a selection of waste containers and pre-printed labels and manifests at no charge.
- Perform compliance audits of waste vendors to ensure adherence with University contract terms and conformance with State and Federal hazardous waste regulations.