Illness and Injuries/Accidents

For Incidents Involving Employees:

If a worker gets injured while on the job they are encouraged to seek medical attention, if necessary. When the injury is of a serious nature, this can be done by calling the UM-Dearborn Department of Public Safety at 313-593-5333 from a mobile phone or 911 from a campus phone. UM-Dearborn Public Safety will administer first aid and request for an ambulance to send the employee to a local ER if the injury warrants such a response.

If the injury is not serious (mildly sprained ankle, etc.), the employee should contact their supervisor, and follow the injury reporting process, below. If the cause if the injury is a safety issue that others may injure themselves similarly (i.e., broken concrete, ice on the sidewalk, missing/ loose handrail in a stairwell), UM-Dearborn Public Safety should be notified to write up an incident report. The report will initiate corrective actions by generating a Facilities Operations work order. EHS will become involved when notified of the unsafe condition by the police.

If non-emergency medical treatment is needed, the employee is to go to Concentra Medical Center, 17500 Federal Drive, Ste. 750, Allen Park, MI (313-982-1376). This is the assigned clinic for all work-related injuries for the University of Michigan-Dearborn and it provides medical services from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm, Monday thru Friday. For after-hours, non-emergency medical treatment, please go to Concentra Medical Center, 11700 Metro Airport Center Drive, Ste. 104, Romulus, MI (734-955-7000). This is a 24 hour, 7 days a week clinic.

Your supervisor will need to complete a Concentra Authorization for Examination or Treatment Form for you to be treated. Take this completed form with you. If you go to the clinic without a form, the clerk will need to call your supervisor for a verbal authorization and a form will need to be faxed or scanned/ emailed to the clinic for treatment to be approved.

If treatment for your injury cannot wait, please go to Henry Ford Fairlane ER if you require immediate care. UM-Dearborn Department of Public Safety will assist by contacting EMS to transport you to the ER. Paperwork can be completed after you are treated in this instance.

When able, the employee needs to notify their direct supervisor of their injury. The supervisor will fill out a Risk Management (Work Connections) Claims Submission Form, see link below:

Click on "Start a Claim", or the link below:

  1. The first question on the form says: "What type of incident are you reporting?"
  2. The drop menu will have an option of "Employee Injury or Illness", use this option.
  3. The supervisor will complete the report (click the "submit" button), with the help of the employee.
  4. The completed report goes directly to Risk Management in AA. The supervisor will receive a copy of the report by automatic email.
  5. The supervisor will then forward a copy of the report to UM-Dearborn HR (Kelly Schester, and EHS ( for local record-keeping purposes. 

If you have any questions, please contact EHS at 313-583-6679 or

Laboratory personnel are required to report ALL occupational injuries, illnesses, and near misses to the Principal Investigator (PI) as soon as practical. A "Near Miss" is considered a precursor to actual incidents and must be reported whether or not an injury occurred. The PI would be responsible for completing the (Work Connections) Claims Submission Form and electronically submitting it to UM Risk Management. Follow the Injury Reporting Procedures as described above. In addition, an EHS Incident and Near-Miss Report must be completed and submitted to EHS requires that the incident shall be investigated by the PI to determine the cause and identify preventative measures that can be put in place.

For Incidents Involving Non-Employees:

Contact the University of Michigan-Dearborn Police & Public Safety at 911 or 313-593-5333. A Work Connections Claims Submission Form should be completed. Use the “Loss Report for Non-Employee Event” option in the drop-down menu.

Automatic External Defibrillator (AED) Program

Additional information as well as a training video can be found on our AED information page.

Environmental Health and Safety

1330 - Campus Support Services Building
4901 Evergreen Road
Dearborn, MI 48128
View on Map
Phone: 313-583-6679
Fax: 313-493-9161