CASL Minors Requirements

  • A student may declare a minor at the CASL Office of Advising and Academic Success by completing a Declaration of Major/Minor form.  A final audit will be conducted at the time of graduation.  Any declared minor that has not been successfully completed will be deleted from the student’s transcript.
  • A minimum GPA of 2.00 must be compiled for each minor.  The GPA for CASL minors is based on all upper division coursework taken in the discipline of the minor.  The GPA for the CIS minor is based on CIS 150, 275, 200 and all upper level 300-4999 CIS courses.  The GPA for College of Business minors will include all of the following, if taken:  ACC 298, 299; and any upper level 300-4999 courses offered by the College of Business.
  • The minors listed below are different from the teaching minors offered through the College of Education,Health and Human Services (CEHHS). Only teaching minors satisfy state teacher certification requirements.  For more information about teaching minors, please contact the CEHHS Advising Office, 313-593-5090.

Group I Minors

Minimum of 12 hours required (300-4999) level courses and any prerequisites that may be needed for upper level courses:

  • Anthropology
  • Applied Statistics
  • Arabic Studies
    (excludes ARBC 350)
  • Art History
  • Biochemistry
  • Biology
  • Chemistry
  • Comparative Literature
  • Computer and Computational Math
  • Economics
  • English
  • Environmental Science
  • French Studies
  • Geology
  • German
  • Hispanic Studies
  • History
    (6 hrs. U.S History course attribute CAUS,
    6 hrs. Non-U.S History course attribute CANU)
  • Humanities
  • Linguistics
  • Mathematics
    (excluding MATH 363, 385,386,387,391,442,443,444,445,446,447,449,486)
  • Microbiology
  • Music (prereqs: one course from MHIS 100, 120, 130 and one course from MTHY 100, 101, 102).
  • Philosophy
  • Physics
  • Political Science
  • Psychology
  • Sociology

Group II Minors

Requiring 12-18 hours of upper (300-4999) level courses:

  • African and African American Studies
  • Applied Art
  • Astronomy
  • Communication
  • Community Change
  • Criminology and Criminal Justice
  • Environmental Studies
  • Film Studies
  • Geography
  • Global Cultures
  • Journalism and Screen Studies
  • Law and Society
  • Leadership & Communication in Organizations
  • Medieval and Renaissance Studies
  • Organizational Change in a Global Environment
  • Religious Studies
  • Science and Technology Studies
  • Social Science Research Methodology
  • Society and Technological Change
  • Urban and Regional Studies
  • Women's and Gender Studies

Group III: Minors Outside of CASL

  • Accounting*
  • CIS
  • CIS - Game Design Option
  • Digital Marketing*
  • Finance*
  • Financial Planning*
  • Health Policy Studies
  • Human Resources*
  • Information Technology Management*
  • Management*
  • Marketing*
  • Public Health
  • Social Work
  • Supply Chain Management*

*Note:  Students not enrolled in the College of Business BBA Program cannot elect more than 30 upper-level (courses numbered 300 and above) credit hours in courses offered by the College of Business.



  1. Prerequisites are required for many of the upper level (300-4999) courses.  This is especially true for the foreign languages, management, sciences, mathematics, and CIS minors.
  2. Only 3 hours of transfer (300-4999 and UPPR), independent study or internship (CRJ 478; POL/CRJ 495, 496, 497; HIST/HUM 485; ENST 385; ECON 498; HPS 401) credits may be used to fulfill the requirements for a 12 credit hour minor.  Only 6 hours of such credit may be used in a 15 hour minor.  To clarify this, a minimum of 9 hours of regular classroom coursework must be taken at UM-Dearborn in each minor.
  3. No credit hours transferred from a community college and no lower division courses from a four-year institution may be included in the upper level hours required for any minor.
  4. Courses applied to a major may not be applied to a minor. Exception allowed for Physics majors to use PHYS 305 for Physics major and the Astronomy minor.
  5. The student must complete a Change of Degree Program, Major and/or Minor Petition Form to officially declare.  Minors are NOT automatically granted.  The form is available in your unit’s advising office.
  6. Courses elected P/F (Pass/Fail) cannot be used in the minor.
  7. A course used in one minor may not be used in another.

Advising and Academic Success

1039 -
CASL Building
Back to top of page